Things to do in Farmington, New Mexico
Within a 60-mile radius of Farmington, New Mexico, there are several ruins and attractions worth visiting. Here are some notable ones:
1. Aztec Ruins National Monument (Aztec, NM) - Explore the well-preserved ruins of an ancient Pueblo village, including a reconstructed great kiva and a museum showcasing artifacts.
2. Salmon Ruins and Heritage Park (Bloomfield, NM) - Discover the remnants of a 12th-century Ancestral Puebloan village, featuring a partially reconstructed great kiva and a museum highlighting regional history.
3. Chaco Culture National Historical Park (Nageezi, NM) - Take a day trip to this UNESCO World Heritage site, home to the impressive ruins of an ancient civilization known for its monumental architecture and celestial alignments.
4. Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness (between Farmington and Cuba, NM) - Explore the unique and surreal badlands featuring unusual rock formations, hoodoos, and fossilized remains.
5. Angel Peak Scenic Area (Bloomfield, NM) - Enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding badlands and the dramatic Angel Peak. This area is ideal for hiking, photography, and stargazing.
6. Salmon Ruins Museum (Bloomfield, NM) - Visit this museum adjacent to the Salmon Ruins site to learn about the ancient Puebloan people and their culture through exhibits and artifacts.
7. Navajo Lake State Park (Navajo Dam, NM) - Engage in various recreational activities, including boating, fishing, camping, and hiking, at the picturesque Navajo Lake.
8. Shiprock (Shiprock, NM) - Marvel at the iconic Shiprock, a towering volcanic rock formation that holds cultural and spiritual significance for the Navajo Nation.
9. Crow Canyon Archaeological Center (Cortez, CO) - Participate in educational programs and guided tours focused on archaeology and the ancestral Puebloan culture.
10. Ute Mountain Tribal Park (Towaoc, CO) - Take a guided tour led by Ute tribal members to explore ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings, petroglyphs, and other archaeological sites.
These attractions within a 60-mile radius of Farmington offer a rich cultural and historical experience, allowing visitors to delve into the fascinating heritage of the Four Corners region.